May 19, 2010

California

We just got back from a visit to California. The day we drove out of town (no airport in this small Colorado town) it was snowing. California was a welcome change.
I saw my first tide pool. It was incredibly neat! The anemones, snails, mussels, DH saw a crab. It was fun. I'll definitely look for more.
The flowers in California are always one of my favorite things to see. There are different flowers blooming year round. This was the first time I'd seen this one. And now I can't remember what it's called :(. But I do love the flowers. There is such a variety that I haven't seen anywhere else.
We went to the San Diego Zoo. I loved it! I think I had more fun than either of the kiddos. It's an entire post it itself, so I won't post a dozen pictures here. I know this one of the snake turtle isn't in focus, but it's the best that I got of it. Here's a little laugh at me: When I first saw all the turtles swimming (which I've seen before) and saw one of these turtles, I thought (and said to DH) that I never knew that turtles have such long necks! Their shells hide more that I thought. Um, yeah. Then I read the plaque. And it's a species of turtle. Not all of them have long necks. Oops!
And of course there's the beach. I ADORE the beach. I could sit and stare (and photograph) the beach ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Not an exaggeration. It's good we only go to California for visits, because nothing would ever get done if we lived there. Sunny, overcast, rainy, high or low tide, crowded or empty. I love it!

2 comments:

Lhone said...

I love cali too. there is nothing that compares to the weather.

Delaps said...

so sorry it is snowing in Colorado, but it is nice that you can escape. I missed you at the Sanders on sunday.