April 15, 2011

A Wonderment

 I wonder why I let, and even encourage, my children to pick these little critters up, and why I scream and kill spiders?  Aren't they both bugs?  And am I not a thousand times bigger than a spider?
We were outside today, and N* pointed out a spider crawling on the patio, which was quickly killed.  Not 5 minutes later, this cute roly-poly came crawling along, in nearly the same location as the spider, and we oohed and aahed over him.  I even called A* over to join us!  N* is still a little nervous around bugs - and I can only blame myself.  I am not a bug lover.  But roly-polies?  Ladybugs?  No problem.  A* had a fun time with the "ball bug", until the little guy started walking on A*'s hand.  The bug was quickly dropped.  And then retrieved.  And then dropped and then retrieved....  

1 comment:

Lhone said...

I'm with you. There is just NO threat of any type of ladybug killing you, or being bit to death by a lady bug. That's not true of spiders.