September 22, 2011

Canning Entry 2011

This is going to be a rather boring post.  It's more for my records than anything, because I won't lose it.  The question is, will I remember where I recorded it?  We'll see...  


It's been a busy year for canning.  Here's the list:

  • 1 bushel (2 boxes) of peaches turned into 18 quarts - 2 didn't seal.
  • 1 1/2 bushels (3 boxes) of pears turned into 35 quarts of pears - 1 didn't seal.
  • 3 batches of salsa (2 with roma tomatoes, 1 with regular) turned into 14 pints of salsa.
  • 1 case of pickling cucumbers turned into a whole lot of pickles.  We made dill, sweet relish, sweets and bread and butter. I was not impressed with the sweet pickle recipe we used.  Anyone want sweet pickles?
  • 24 pounds of strawberries turned into roughly 34 pints of jam.  Some went into plain ol' frozen strawberries, also.  I was done making jam.
Still to be done:
  • Strawberries
  • Apple Jelly
  • Black-Apple Jelly - It's the best!

1 comment:

Lhone said...

what is black apple? Sounds intriguing. I have been learning how to can, and this is my first year attempting this kind of thing. I have only tried salsa (way too hot), and strawberry jam, and plum jam. Tomorrow is applesauce, apple juice, and peaches. Wish me luck. I could use a pro like you telling me what to do!