September 29, 2011

Caterpillars


We found this guy in our carport, while unloading children, after an unsuccessful caterpillar hunt.  Funny?  I think so.
 This is him next to a regular-sized bubble wand.  He was a little skeptical of it and didn't want to get to close.  When he's fully extended, he's about the same length.
 This is him next to an extra-long bubble wand.  He's seriously big!  I've been searching and searching online to figure out what he is, so that we can feed him the correct kind of leaves.  No luck yet.

This is our other resident caterpillar, Gracyn or Mickey, depending on the day.  She's a Wooly Bear Caterpillar, that eats grass and hibernates all winter, spinning her cocoon in the spring and turning into an Isabella Tiger Moth.  

The kiddos have had a great time playing with her.  This is what we were hunting for today, when we came back empty handed.

Sadly, I think the kiddos might have had too much fun with her.  She's not moving a lot (at all).  "N" thinks she's already hibernating.  I'm not convinced...

2 comments:

Tannis Rogers said...

I think it's a White-lined Sphinx (Moth) larva. "They will feed on a wide variety of hosts including Four O' Clocks, Apple, Fuschia, Purslane, Evening Primrose, Grape, WillowWeed, Elm and Tomato. The adults take nectar from flowers, like wild sweet william."

How fun! Good luck with it! (Sorry about the second one!) Totally funny that you found it in the house after not finding any outside! :P

Tannis Rogers said...

Oh,
http://mobugs.blogspot.com/2010/08/white-lined-sphinx-moth.html
That's the link that I found that has a similar picture and a picture of what the moth it turns into looks like. It also says what it eats there. To find out what it was I used a bunch of different websites, or I'd list those, too.