February 23, 2011

Injuries

A is missing half of his fingernail.  The rest will soon follow.  Here is the story:


Last week I gathered the kiddos for a fingernail cutting party (sounds fun, no?).  First J, then N, and lastly A.  He did fine with his first 8 fingers, wiggling and squirming, but nothing out of the ordinary.  However, when I got to this one (his right hand ring finger), he would not let me cut it.  I had to hold him down to let me finish the last 2.  While cutting, I saw that it was a little yellow and blue.  So I've kept my eyes on it.  Ummm, Monday I saw that the nail was coming off.  After a quick call to our personal medical advisor (read, Grandpa), we trimmed it.  While trimming, I learned that it was off all the way to his cuticle.  So we've been trying to keep it covered with a band-aid, so that the rest of it will not be cruelly torn off.  But A wants nothing to do with a band-aid, so we're struggling.  The sad part is, I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT'S COMING OFF.  NONE.  I'm sure he cried when it happened.  But which crying time was it?  DH says that I need to get used to it.  He is a boy and boys will be boys. So, he's had a black eye that I have no idea how he got, and now a missing fingernail.  Poor boy!

1 comment:

Lhone said...

oh my. that is so sad. my mother-in-law says that her other son was crawling and at some point got a pin (like a sewing pin) imbedded in his knee cap. He still has it there today. kids are just kids like that.