January 24, 2009

Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort



We took a field trip today, to the Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort. It's run by the State Parks Division, not by the church, as I'd thought. It was interesting to read about the early history of the city and how it became what it is today. I was surprised to learn that there used to be an oasis somewhere in the area, which is where the city got it's name - Las Vegas meaning "the Meadows". The oasis is long gone, in case you were wondering. At the fort there was an area for demonstrating how to make adobe bricks (at least that's what we think that's what all of the tools, etc were for). There were a couple of old-looking wagons (the bolts were pretty shiny to have lasted so long...), part of the fort walls (not sure if they're original), some old farming tools and a few original adobe bricks.

1 comment:

Lhone said...

That's cool. I didn't know it was there. I really liked the Cove Fort that is by that area, actually it is a ways up north.