Having just left the military, I was very much looking forward to civilian health care. I could choose my doctors, make appointments that fit with my schedule, be more than just a number, and have the doctors be real doctors - not nurse practitioners or some such.
And then reality hit...
For my first OB appointment we were in the waiting room for just under an hour - luckily there were toys for my toddler to play with. Like I've already posted, I liked the doctor, he was knowledgeable and listened to my concerns/answered my questions. And the long wait really could be attributed to being a new patient.
Today, my daughter's diaper rash is incredibly worse - for the second time this month. We decided that she ought to be seen, because even applying a thick coat of desitin at each change, it hasn't improved. We got a recommendation of a pediatrician, made an appointment and quickly got ready to go (they asked us to be 30 minutes early to fill out paperwork. No problem). I signed in and was told that i'd be called to get the paperwork. 30 minutes later (at the time of our appointment), they copied our insurance information. 20 minutes later, I was called again to fill out paperwork. An hour and ten minutes after our appointment time, (over an hour and a half of sitting in the waiting room - with no toys, and we were on the Well Child side of the waiting room. There was a wall to separate us from the Sick Child side) the nurse came to get us. She took my daughter's vitals and said the doctor would be right in. 20 minutes later the doctor made it in to check the diaper rash. She said that on a scale of 1-10, the rash was a 2 (may I never see a 10!) She basically told me to keep doing what I was doing, and that the rash should be looking better after the weekend. I asked what would cause such a rash to reappear so soon after the previous bad rash. She said it was caused by irritants in the poop. So why don't all kids always have awful diaper rashes? And why has it only gotten this bad this month and never before? I told her about previous rashes that I linked to my daughter's eating oranges and other citrus fruits. She said that the acid from those would have been digested out and wouldn't have an effect on her bum (like I was crazy for thinking that something she ate could be giving her diaper rash).
What was the point? 2 and 1/2 hours for what?
6 comments:
ugh... i hate doctors sometimes. Honestly, my baby gets a rash after eating certain fruits, and I was told that it defianetly does have something to do with what they eat. Stop giving them those foods and then in a month, try again. Plus, instead of desitin, try blow drying her bum, and then use A&D, or there is this concoction of maylox or mylanta (an anti-acid medicine), then spread cornstarch over that, and then put on eucerin creme. I don't know if it works, but supposedly it does. I'll check with a friend to make sure that's it. good luck
Oh that stinks...We've been struggling with diaper rash for awhile too and the dr. said that it had to do with the food she eats too. I had been trying clotrimizol 2 times a day which is an anti-fungal cream that also has a calming affect on the rash. Then I used triple paste which is kind of expensive, but really seemed to work. She had her rash for over six weeks, but when I tried this combination, it finally got rid of it. Hope your little one gets rid of hers soon too!
I feel it for you...I have felt like an idiot at many of my doctor appointments...the reality is that so often they just don't listen.
Man, that was a frustrating experience...sorry, hope it doesn't happen again...2 and a half hours is an awfully long time! Hope Nia feels better soon.
Yikes! So sorry it's been a bad experience for you. FYI, Zoe had a monster rash one time and the (Army) docs told me to put anti-fungal cream on it. I won't go into how it looked, but if you want more details feel free to email me, the anti-fungal may do the trick for Nia!
Maybe the doctor forgot to study that part of the textbook. Maybe they could reduce the bill for not being of any help?
just wanted to say thanks for putting my button on your blog! Sorry to hear about the diaper rash...doesn't it seem like there is always someone sick? With five kids--I feel that way! UGH! I love your book list--I have read most of them and I am a huge fan of good books!
Post a Comment